Biomass boiler, Berga - Sauleda, a sustainable company

Biomass boiler, Berga - Sauleda, a sustainable company

  02 March 2022

At Sauleda, we are faithful to our commitment to constant innovation in order to fulfil our main mission: “To protect people and the environment.” We carry out environmental protection activities in all our fabric production plants: fume treatment, generation of renewable energy, reuse of packaging, water treatment, among others.

In a world where concern for sustainability and the environment continues to grow, Sauleda is carrying out numerous activities to ensure its human and environmental commitments are met. The company has five sites, all equipped and coordinated with environmentally friendly measures, in which its fabrics are manufactured and produced.


One of the plants, located in Berga, has a Regenerative Thermal Oxidation system for fume treatment. This type of machinery, introduced into the factory several years ago, reduces the concentration of VOCs to values of 10 mg C/ Nm3, which is much lower than the 20 mg C/ Nm3 allowed by current regulations. The result is a clean, odourless and colourless fume that is not harmful to the environment.

Furthermore, in this same factory, the energy required for heating the thermal oil circuit for the manufacture of the technical fabrics is obtained from a biomass boiler, which only uses wood residue from the Berguedà area as a fuel. As a result, Sauleda is moving away from the use of fossil and petroleum-based fuels and is contributing to sustainable forest management in the region.

As in all manufacturing processes, there are chemical product residues which the company must collect, separate and manage, always prioritising reuse. Furthermore, we check that 30% of the PVC plastisol left over from production is separated and reused in subsequent production. The remaining 70% is treated as waste, and we attempt to maximise its reuse. 45% of the chemical product residues is sent to a certified manager for its recovery and reuse. While the remaining 25% goes through a distillation process. In this way, Sauleda reduces the amount of solvent purchased and the waste that must be managed for destruction.

In this same plant in Berga, the textile waste generated during fabric production is also managed for its re-use. In the weaving section, the leftover edges are collected and sent to a company responsible for regenerating them into a new textile fibre. Cardboard cones, once the thread is used, are saved and reused. If that’s not enough, we can also mention that in the PVC manufacturing line, the leftover edges that contain a percentage of fabric and PVC are collected and sent to an external company that recovers both.

Commercial / Technical


This website uses its own and third-party cookies. More info:  Cookies Policy | Accept